PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS AND TUTORIALS FROM HURRICANE IMAGES INC.
POWERFUL INTIMATE VIDEOGRAPHY / PHOTOGRAPHY | www.hurricaneimagesinc.com

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Z Cam E2 In-Depth Review Part 3



Welcome back to the Z Cam E2 in-depth review.  This is Part III.  If you missed the first two parts, you should check out find Part 1 and Part 2.

In today's post, we're looking at dependability (briefly), and our Conclusion.

Dependability

This is one topic I can’t answer yet, as I’ve only had the Z Cam for a few weeks now.  It’s comforting that the E2 feels like it’s built like a tank, and there have been very few reports of failure among users.  Hopefully, I won’t remember to report back on this topic.



Conclusion

I get the sense that Z Cam is positioning this camera uniquely in the market.  The hardware and software is excellent, but there’s not nearly enough documentation on the camera.  It’s a complicated camera, and the manual covers just the basics.  It took me 3 days to figure out how to get the full ISO range.   There are a lot more features and options than what I’ve covered here… things like a time lapse feature, dual ISO, file splitting, software, audio options, etc.  As I said in the beginning, it's a complex and very capable camera.

So who is it for?  Let's start with who I don't think it's well suited: bloggers and hobbyists.  I don't see the E2 as a great camera for blogger's because of the form factor.  Mirrorless, DSLR, and compact cameras are much easier to manipulate for self-filming.  And it's a too complex and beefy for a hobbyist.  Coming from a Sony a73 and a7s2, I miss the full-frame sensor and I'm overly conscious about how much attention it attracts... and how much slower it is to operate.  It's not a camera that I'd take on vacation, or to hazardous regions (i.e. places with high rates of theft and violence).  When you pick up the E2, you need to be a dedicated cinematographer in that moment-- not a tourist, someone's partner, or a "street videographer."  It takes time and attention to operate.  With the right attachments, the Z Cam can function as a "jog and gun" unit just fine.  It all depends on how you shoot professionally.  The E2 is an excellent camera if you want to upgrade your visual tools from a mirrorless, or enter into the professional filmmaking realm.  I see no shortcomings in the quality when used as a professional tool; I don't believe anyone could distinguish the E2's footage from that of a Red or Alexa.  It may not be on Netflix's "approved" camera list yet, but the specs and the performance are all there.  

Should you buy the E2 instead of the Sony a73? Yes, if you're planning on being a dedicated filmmaker; No, if you're a hybrid user or YouTube creator.  Should you buy it instead of the Blackmagic 4K? That really depends on the workflow experience you prefer and your need for a wider variety of recording options.  They're very similar in terms of image quality; they both have quirks in terms of handling.  Should you buy the Z Cam E2 instead of the Red Komodo? Yes, unless you have buckets of money....

Improvements I’d like to see:  I imagine this list will grow as I become more acquainted with the Z Cam, but there are some things I’d love Z Cam to address.  
  • Port covers!  Please, make port covers!  The back is too exposed for working in deserts, mist, high wind, etc. etc.
  • Custom file names.  I’ve yet to find a way to change the file naming system, and the current version (which lists the date and time) is ridiculously long and unhelpful.  I also want to see the file name on the preview screen.  Some professionals slate and take notes during their shoot and it helps to have the file name onscreen to confirm.  
  • I’d love for proxy files to be available for all of the file types. 
  • More documentation on the E2 and a dedicated employee for the Z Cam forum... or a forum created by Z Cam.  Don't rely on Facebook as a primary interface for customers.  Unanswered questions get buried in Facebook's algorithm, and that's no good.  I've created a Resource Page for the E2, with specs, links, mini reviews, and... um, resources, but I don't answer questions and I'm not an expert. 
  • Custom cords.  I need a 6 inch LANC cable—not a 9-18inch springy cable.  Same for HDMI.
  • Custom Menu page.  I know there's no space for it currently, but there are so many options-- and so many I know I'll never use-- that it would be nice to have a page with just the menu items I access regularly
  • This last is really a next gen issue:  the LANC input is on the wrong side of the camera; if controlled by a handle, the cord has to reach across the back to reach the port.  The USB-C port can live on either side, so the two could be switched.  
Finally,I think Z Cam should look long and hard at their ZRAW format and decide what they want it to be.  Currently, it feels like an obligatory nod towards Raw file zealots who don’t understand that their obsession rarely produces a better looking image at final print. RAW is often considered the Holy Grail of file types when really it is simply one step up from ProRes HQ. In video, Raw files are never completely raw and almost always compressed. ZRAW subdivides that “one step” image possibility by being focused on detail rather than dynamic range.  

Z Cam has been aggressively improving their cameras, including updated features via firmware for their existing line like the E2.  This is an exciting company to watch, and I think their upcoming 6K and full frame cameras will shake up the landscape as much as the Sony a7 series, Blackmagic, and Panasonic cameras have done.  For me, I’m excited to explore the possibilities of this camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment