PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS AND TUTORIALS FROM HURRICANE IMAGES INC.
POWERFUL INTIMATE VIDEOGRAPHY / PHOTOGRAPHY | www.hurricaneimagesinc.com

Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 50, Learning 50: The Long Road

 

Whew!  I'm at the half-way mark for my 100 Days of Learning project.  For the most part it's been easier than I expected, though I hope the last couple of days aren't foreshadowing for the next 50.  Finding new material was hard.  But I still can't recommend it highly enough.  There's a certain point in everyone's development when you can only learning by consciously pushing oneself; and everyone has learning to do.

What pulled me through the past couple of days was exploring the idea of combining niches.  For example, if portraiture is your thing, than the "environmental portrait" requires you to have a high degree of control over both landscape and interior photography.  So what combination is necessary for you to excel in your niche?

On my 50th day, I'm offering a few thoughts on landscape photography:

  • Standing upright is rarely the right position for landscapes
  • Look for either leading lines or a strong foreground element
  • Play with long exposures for creating movement, even if it's just creamy clouds
  • Bracket your exposures when shooting a high contrast scene
  • Look for natural "frames:" trees, cliffs, rocks
  • Wait for that side light: avoid shooting between 11am to 2pm

No comments:

Post a Comment